Using a stamp catalogue
2. Using a catalogue
Look up 1963 in the catalogue and find the picture of the stamp. Although sometimes the stamp will be part of a set and not all the pictures of that set will be shown. It is usually easy to see a similar stamp.
This catalogue page is taken from Stanley Gibbons ' Stamps of the World' 2020.
This stamp is not the same as the stamp we are trying to find out about but you can easily see it is in the same set.
We now know much more about the stamp:
- It was issued in a set of three stamps.
- The set is called 'Giant Panda'
- The picture shown in the catalogue is of a stamp with a giant panda eating apples.
- The stamp we are trying to find out about has a picture of a giant panda eating bamboo.
- The third stamp in the set has a picture of two giant pandas.
We also know that this is quite a valuable stamp. The value on the stamp when it was issued is 8 分 fēn (fēn is 100th of Chinese Yuan). Now the catalogue value is £48 if it is unused (mint condition) and £7.50 if it has been used in the post. It is important to note that catalogue values are usually a lot more than you can actually sell the stamp for.
[Catalogue pages have been reproduced with kind permission of Stanley Gibbons]
Next page try the catalogue quiz